1.02.2010

Looking Back

2009 was kind of a big year for me. Here are some of the headlines.

I completed my Masters of Science in Speech Language Pathology, with pretty darn good grades, I might add. This was rather bittersweet for me. I've been on the University of Utah campus in some capacity since August 2001. I love it there. I have favorite spots to sit and eat, read, think, talk, freak in, and freak out. I know which drinking fountains are okay and which should be avoided like locust. I've witnessed the change of two bathrooms in the Union from women's to men's and discovered one of those in quite the wrong way. In my time both on campus and at the world's best Institute (old building and new, thank you) I've formed lasting and treasured friendships. I think back on every class, meeting, and concert with fondness.

I got to go to two Temple Open Houses, twice to Draper and once to Oquirrh Mountain. In addition to sharing those experiences with my family (including my future bro-in-law), I was able to go with some of my favorite girlfriends and share some of my beliefs with friends of other faiths. I love learning about others' beliefs and discovering how much we truly have in common.

I was able to do two really great externships with amazing supervisors, who have forever shaped me as a clinician. Hooray for Cara and Verna!!

I sang in General Conference, which I've always wanted to do. What an awe-inspiring experience!!

I danced in parking lots and parking terraces and laughed with wonderful girls.

I learned that the shin splints I've had since high school weren't shin splints at all. One surgery and nearly a month in boots that Cossacks would envy later, I was finally able to walk fast without my ankles randomly not working right.

I interviewed for several different positions and ended up in Idaho. I'm blessed to have Katie, Jarom, and their boys up here. I've really missed seeing them more than once or twice a year. I also have a great apartment.

I learned how much I love my family. I thought I knew, but I didn't until I had the pains of missing them. Most important part of this lesson: I'd never want to spend eternity without them. I can't imagine an existence without them.

I bought my first car. Totally not the car I was dreaming of, but it's a step up in most ways from what I've been driving. I have a black 2005 Jetta. My next car, though, will have heated seats. I hate having a cold bum and back.

My mom got some mixed news on her health, but basically good. Heidi finally got an answer, now we're just waiting for a solution. We keep praying.

My nephews continue to be an extraordinary blessing in my life. Jon was baptized. Mark loves first grade and is a fast reader. Eric sang "Wosty the Noman" to me on the phone. (Consonant Cluster Reduction strikes again.)

I'm grateful for all I learned in 2009, even the difficult lessons. I'm excited to see what 2010 has in store.


Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,

The flying cloud, the frosty light;
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.


Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.


Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
For those that here we see no more,
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.


Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.


Ring out the want, the care the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.


Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.


Ring out old shapes of foul disease,
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.


Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be.


-Alfred, Lord Tennyson (emphasis added)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a big year! I didn't really realize all of that, and some of it I don't completely understand, which is fine. I failed at doing a new years blog this year because I'm not ready to post about the year yet. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, another thought. I don't know if you get the "Music and the Spoken Word" rebroadcasts up there. But down here it's at 3:00 on Sunday afternoons, and they do the week before's broadcast. Anyway, the last broadcast on the 3rd I really enjoyed, and somewhat applies to your post, so if you wanted to see/hear it you could find it on the 10th as a rebroadcast probably. Or you can look up the text on their website. I really liked the Rutter piece though. Random comment.

    ReplyDelete