Last Sunday, as I waited for my flight at Denver International, I witnessed a very strange episode. I was sitting at a table by the window in the food court. Two tables away, the lady cleaning quietly, but quickly got her supervisor. He went into the back and soon returned to stand next to the table. Next, an airport security guard arrived and the cleaning supervisor pointed to something and left.
The security guard radioed someone and then he stood there. I couldn't see the table or the obviously suspicious item on it because there were people at the table between. I began to wonder whether I should be concerned, but mostly I was curious. The next to arrive was a TSA agent, who briefly talked to the airport security guard and then moved to the outskirts of the food court and watched from there.
Finally, a police officer came, fully armed. I started thinking maybe they should, I don't know, evacuate the food court, if they're this concerned. So, the airport security guard pointed to the suspicious item and then the lady who initially reported the concern was called over and asked some question. In the end, the cop picked up an eyeglasses case. Really? Well, okay, we have to be extremely cautious, right? Well the cop opened the case while passing my table! Which left me wondering, why, after all that, he didn't at least wait until he was away from innocent people to potentially set off an explosive or expose us all to some bio-toxin. I, for one, didn't feel an increased sense of safety that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment